Learn about important developments and topics in capital case litigation:
Evidence Essentials Every Capital Case Lawyer Needs to Know
- the latest court decisions in this area
- Crawford and Bruton issues
- Social Media
- Rule 404(b)
- Hearsay and mitigation issues
Capital Case Conundrums
Identify and analyze certain dilemmas, from practical, legal, and ethical perspectives:
- Problem clients: how to deal with the client who balks at mitigation investigation, or who refuses to accept advice toward a plea or a defense involving a lesser charge;
- A view from the bench: a perspective from the bench of what a judge needs, and what vexes judges; and a discussion of how to be responsive to the judge while still protecting the client, the case, and the record;
- Jury issues: from voir dire to penalty closing, what do jurors expect; how are they best selected; Batson and issues of a diverse jury;
- Challenges with opposing counsel: if you are a prosecutor, what do you do with defense counsel who is ill-prepared, if you are defense counsel, what do you do with a prosecutor who won’t talk about a resultion short of a death sentence?
Inside the Forensic Science Lab – Insights from a Medical Examiner
- How a medical examiner works;
- Tips for direct and cross-examination.